French Onion Soup
Main Course, Soup
2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2-3 large yellow onions, sliced
- ½ Tbsp. kosher salt, plus more to taste
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp. fresh thyme, plus more for garnish
- 2 bay leaves
- Slurry – 1 Tbsp. flour, 3 Tbsp. dry sherry
- 1 cup white wine, such as chardonnay
- 6 cups beef stock
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
- ½ Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- Crostini rounds
- Shredded gruyere cheese
NanoBond® 5qt Dutch Oven
Products to Use:
In a large dutch oven, heat to medium, add equal amounts of extra virgin olive oil and butter, allow to heat, and add sliced onions. Add salt and pepper, stir to combine, and cover with a lid for 5 mins.
Remove lid and allow onions to cook until they start to brown sightly, stir. Add minced garlic, fresh thyme, and bay leaves. Once they begin to brown, lower heat to medium low and repeat the process until onions are translucent and sweet, 30-40 mins.
Make a slurry of sherry & flour, whisk, and add to the onions. Cook for 2-3 mins.
- Add wine, increase heat to medium and simmer until reduced slightly, 3-4 mins.
Add beef stock, soy and Worcestershire, simmer 15 mins. uncovered.
- Turn off the heat and add a splash of apple cider vinegar, stir to combine, and taste for seasoning, add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Preheat oven to 450F
Ladle the soup into oven proof bowls, be careful not to overfill. Add crostini rounds and shredded gruyere cheese. Place the bowls onto a baking sheet and place them carefully on the top rack of the oven for about 5 mins. until cheese is melted and bubbly. Remove and sprinkle with fresh thyme.