Lemon Herbed Roast Chicken with Garlic and Spring Onions
Main Course, Entree
This one-dish meal is elegant enough for Sunday supper with friends but also ideal to double to ensure leftovers for several family meals later in the week.
- 1 whole chicken
- 2-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 lemons, thinly sliced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped, plus 1 garlic head, halved crosswise
- 4 tablespoons room temperature butter
- 1 bunch spring onions, halved lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Provisions™ Classic Clad Large Roaster
Products to Use:
- Preheat an oven to 450°F
Rinse the chicken inside and out and pat dry with paper towels. Season the chicken inside and out with the salt and pepper and place half of the lemon slices inside the chicken cavity. Tuck the wing tips behind the back and tie the legs together with kitchen twine.
Stir together the chives, thyme, oregano, parsley, tarragon, lemon zest and chopped garlic. Add the butter and stir until the mixture is thoroughly combined.
Starting at the cavity, slip your fingers underneath the chicken skin and loosen it all over, being careful not to tear it and reaching as far as possible into the thigh area. Using your fingers, rub the butter mixture under the skin, distributing it as evenly as possible.
Place the chicken, breast side up, in Hestan Provisions 16.5” Roasting Pan and add the remaining lemon slices, garlic head and spring onions to the Roaster and drizzle with the olive oil. Roast the chicken until the skin is well browned and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh, away from the bone, registers 170°F, 50-60 minutes.
Transfer the chicken to a carving board, cover loosely with aluminum foil and let rest for 10-minutes. Carve the chicken and serve immediately with the lemon slices, garlic and spring onions.